Great Savings

Monday, March 9, 2015

The Right Idea But A Loser

Two trades today.The same set up like on Friday AXN and AVEO
Both stopped out. RXII  and CTIC
The idea to short  was correct on both, the set up same as usual, executions were OK too, including the stops, and in fact they both went down as per plan.
However did not focus on re-entry.
This set up is very powerful, very rarely  would miss the direction, but when trading size must have good exit plan because it is never 100% sure.
The question of the day:
Do I feel bad getting stopped out?
In the past, when I'd get stopped and soon after I see the stock goes right where I wanted to, I would get very upset for stopping out.  And this was my usual conclusion: " Next time when this great set up occurs, I will not  exit with a loss, but I will just give it more time to turn around". Soo dead wrong!!!
Not having a stop worked most of the times, till that one trade that blew my acct. (IBKR long , costed me $20,000 a long day-trade turned into swing ,  kept adding while dropping).
So the answer is:
No I do not feel bad for getting stopped out and seeing it going right where I predicted.
However I feel bad for not focusing on the re-entry.
When comparing the two evils, it is much better ( for me ) to get stopped and to re-enter rather then to hope it will turn around in my direction. Id rather re-enter twice get stopped twice then to hope to turn around.

RXII  Short 1.58  
RXII  Stopped 1.67
The short entry was based on daily overhead resistance 1.65. When stock is overbought, and goes into this daily resistance from the open I do not always wait for lower highs, since many times drops down very severally and quickly. I had a decent risk stop and got stopped out. Later I missed the re-entry on the lower highs which gave a perfect drop as per original idea. Had I re-entered it at same price as first time 1.58 would have been a loser turned into a winner with minimal risk.

RXII  short and stopped out

CTIC Short 2.80 covered with 4 cents loss 2.84

Same  thing like RXII, got stopped and missed the re-entry. The set up unlike other set ups is very powerful, I must try harder to stay focused and not think about  the loss. It was so small anyway that should have not influence me. ( But it did , emotions?!? only the best can ignore them )

CTIC  stopped 4 cents loss


Note to myself: 

  • When the great set up occurs, don be sure it will be a winner 100% just because it is great set up. 
  • Define my risk regardless how much I like it, since it may never turn my way if I am wrong. 
  • But stay focused for re-entry. It doesn't happen very often but when it does stay with it don't take eyes of it .

No comments:

Post a Comment