Great Savings

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

One simple rule that improved my trading

I am taking a day off from trading today. But I cant help it not to get involved at least with something, like reading other traders journals. I think it is even better then just buying  some book on trading or at least it is great in addition to reading trading books, since it is more tangible and more real time feel for the trading,  in the immediate present time with ongoing  moves in the markets.

Here is one thing I'd like to comment on @JeromeFreyheit blog daytradingbeginner.com.

 that improved my trading significantly

ANGI the boring trade
ANGI Feb 23, 2015 Monday
When I figured I need to buy the dips rather then the break outs, it was the first improvement, since the chasing I did dramatically was reduced.
However just buying the dips was not enough.
Which dips do I buy?
What relay works the best for me is to be more patient, and to wait until the lower lows will end.
As long as there is lower lows, and lower highs, there is a downtrend.
It is not big deal even if I buy any of those lows, ( I can always get lucky) as long as I can stay focused , eliminate the emotions when get stopped, and look for next entry. But that is the hard part. Once you get stopped, you are human you have feelings and is hard to stay in check, you want your money back ASAP.

If you are patient, and wait to see the lower lows come to an end first, your mind is still clear , emotions intact. Confirmation of higher high after the lower low is the key. I do not just buy the high, I do not chase it. I wait for that pull back for the first higher low. The odds so far have been so much better entering long there , then buying the lower low as it was done in this ANGI boring stock :). It is never a guarantee for successful trade , but if I get stopped on it, I do not feel bad. And now someone will say : But what if such set up doesn't come , I will be without  a trade all day ?!?
The answer is: they almost always come in play , almost every single day and if you just do this one and only set up, and nothing else most likely two thing will happen:
1) You do not trade, so you don't lose money
2) If the set up occurs, you will be so relaxed, since you didn't do anything all day , you didn't overtrade you dont have losses to mess with your head, and the chances are much higher you may end with a green day. Even if it is one trade,  one set up one green day !!

Today BIOC is the same exact thing as ANGI yesterday . I can go back every day and find one of those. Who really needs more?? I didn't trade it , but saw it on my phone while in bed, and twitted it while it was dropping after the open.

BIOC ready for ABCD
BIOC today vol vs avg vol
BIOC  higher lows
I know this looks too simple , and too obvious , but trading is simple, and should be simple.
Define the risk, consider it will be a loser so yo size properly, and pull the trigger.
Find the big movers with big above average volume, put few of those on your monitors, some good music  Radio Mela ME , chill,  wait and relax till you see what you are waiting for  :)
It works, way much better then jumping all over the place trying "not to miss" on anything that moves.
This was me long  time ago. I had so many of this screen shots that was embarrassing, so I deleted most of them, but found few in my old PC, used LightSpeedTrading then.

The first few years was like this


then something started to work, ( really , who does this?!?)


After I started to eliminate what doesn't work.



and a break through / consistency/  trading ONE set up


The key is :if you have the right stocks , big movers, strong volume , 
stay with them and watch em all day , and you will get that one set up.
Do this for a month and keep track , take notes of everything , including how 
you feeling and all your emotions. Be your own shrink.
Salute !

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I try to trade like this and I have a question. We are buying the first pullback after confirmed higher high after lower low. And where is our stop? Should we put stop below previous low or below that new higher low?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By choosing the right stocks, Im looking for momentum, which means trying to get in green almost instantly. If I am wrong, I'd rather be stooped at the nearest higher low.since obviously I did not nail it, so Id rather bail. Example today was ATOS I missed the first pull back 2.42 long, got long on the second one 2.52, was wrong so got out 2.42. Check today's post , may be helpful since was all about handling the losses. http://angeldanjournal.blogspot.com/2015/02/handling-losers-atos-cybx.html

    ReplyDelete